Things we need to "button up" on Monday October 29th:
- Japan Expert Groups/Jig Saw: The Effects of Change During Isolation
The plan is to have one more Expert Group session on Monday (about 20 minutes) and then transition immediately into our Jig Saw. You all have been engaging so well in this cooperative learning technique and I am very proud of the work you have accomplished thus far! Keep it up my friends!
- The Case of Mr. Maloney
ALL 4 texts read, and ALL boxes filled out on your facts/inferences/questions sheet. Don't forget to get my initials!
- Urban Legend Podcast
Please have your urban legend audio narration uploaded into your Google Drive accounts ASAP. Preferably, by the end of Monday, October 29th. This will make life a whole lot easier (and super efficient) for when we resume our podcast work after the Drumheller trip.
Drumheller Overnight Field Study: October 30th to November 1st.
If you have ANY questions at all, please see Ms. A or Mrs. L for clarification.
I'm very happy to see that MOST of you have finished typing up your Urban Legends!
Great job friends!
- Tomorrow (Tuesday 10/23) Mr. Stone will be helping Room 102 get started on their scary podcasts!
- Room 108, your session with Mr. Stone will be on Thursday (10/25).
I'm very excited to see this all come together folks!
- Both classes are well under way with their study of Mr. Maloney's murder case!
Friendly reminder that even though we can be prone to making predictions, we need to infer and make conclusions based on the observations and evidence presented in the texts we are given.
- In Socials, both classes will be meeting THIS week with the Jigsaw Expert Groups to start organizing information.
- Royal Tyrrell Museum forms are due ASAP please!!
- Student conferences will probably happen on Thursday, since Friday is a PD day for students.
- Both 102 and 108 were meant to hand in their Japan Geography assignments today. If you have not yet submitted or shared online via Google Drive, please do so ASAP as it is now already late.
- Both classes have also spent some time looking at literary devices. We have engaged in a series of micro-lessons and have talked a lot about allusions and conflict. Next week we will move on to personification, metaphor and similes.
- We will have our first Japan Jig-Saw session on Thursday October 18th. Please come prepared with your research and any materials you need, as you will be conferencing in your "expert groups".
- On Wednesday October 17th, we will be heading to the Glenbow Museum. This is a walking field study, so please remember to dress appropriately and wear proper footwear.
- Room 102 had an excellent work period in ELA today! A lot was accomplished and I am super impressed with how well you guys are moving along with your Urban Legends Short Stories. Room 108, you guys will have your typing period on Thursday (October 11th).
- "The Lockyer Times -- Japan Volume 1, Issue 1" response (AKA: Japan Geography task)
is due Monday October 15th.
**Please see below for a downloadable version in case you somehow misplaced the hard copy you were given in class...
- If your parents were unable to make last week's Royal Tyrrell Museum Information Meeting, we will be hosting two additional sessions this coming week. The dates and times are as follows:
Thursday October 11th @ 3pm (in Rm 102)
Friday October 12th @ 12:30pm (in Rm 102)
- Final decisions regarding Book Talks will be made next week.
Well friends, we are moving right along with our studies on Japan. You are currently working on "Dig #1 - Changes in Isolation" and will be given 2 more 45 minute periods to conduct your research + develop your expert groups.
You have also been assigned an individual task relating to Japan's Geography, which will be due Monday October 15th.
In regards to our Short Stories Unit, Room 102 will have a typing period on Tuesday, October 9th and Room 108 will have theirs on Thursday, October 11th. You are expected to have everything you need IN CLASS for these work periods.
Friendly reminder that in our busyness, we really need to use our class time wisely. :)